Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Home for God's Child

Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” –Mark 10:15 and Luke 18:17 (see also Matthew 18:3)

When grown-ups move from one home to another, their children move with them. They don’t get a vote. They may not understand why. They may not even like or want the change. When their parents move, however, children move, too, because for children, home is where their parents are.

If we are the children of God, therefore, and He is our Father, home for us is where He Is. Since God is everywhere, in a broad sense, that could mean that home is anywhere. But anywhere doesn’t bring up images of the comfort and security and context of home. No. In more personal terms, I think home for us is where God sends us, where God wants us, where God takes us, wherever God leads.

Jesus, God’s Son, was sent to Earth by the Father. Our world became His home. Then He was taken back up to Heaven, His eternal home. And there, He is creating an eternal home for us.

For now, however, just like it was for Jesus, Earth is our home. We are God’s children. Our place is to obey and go wherever we are sent, wherever God’s Spirit leads. As we do what God tells us to do, we find that we are where He Is—and that means we’re always at home.

Does that make sense?

Obviously, I’m playing with the title of this blog a little bit. But I love, love, love that home is not only where God sends us, but also where He takes us. He Is with us wherever He tells us to go. And because we’re His children, that’s what makes the place He moves us to our home.

Beloved Heavenly Father, Home for My Heart and Soul, I am ever thankful You’ve made me Your child. As You lead me all over this world, help me to remember my home is not really a physical place. Home is living in loving obedience to You. Wherever You want me is where I want to be. In Your Presence, I am home. Amen.




1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful blog post. I have often felt that home is wherever God is. Thank you for confirming this for me. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete