Monday, January 7, 2013

Why I like atheists

 
 
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how much I like atheists. As a christian, that might sound a bit strange, but I find most of the atheists I know to be wonderful, inspiring individuals. I’m sure there are some atheists out there who are also terrible, terrible people, but that has never been my experience. Here’s why I think that is:
 
1. Atheists are reliable
You always know what you’re going to get with an atheist: they don’t believe in God or organized religion. OK, fair enough. With that understanding, you can have many wonderful logic-based discussions on any number of topics. You may disagree, but there’s always an underlying deference to common sense.
With religious people, I’m often completely shocked with how they arrive at some conclusions. “You think the Bible says what now?” When I disagree with a religious person, it usually comes down to how I interpret a part of scripture compared to how he or she interprets it. Disagreements like this lead nowhere and I find myself wishing I was talking with an atheist.
 
2. Atheists are brave
The majority of people in the world believes in God and practices some form of religion. So, the odds are that your atheist friend had to make a pretty serious break with his or her family, culture, and way of life. I call that bravery. Most atheists I know have arrived at their conclusions because of an honest assessment of the facts and of themselves. Despite an enormous pressure to conform, they stand up for what they believe to be true. I find that inspiring.
I have one friend whose father was a Mormon bishop. To fill some time in a meeting, this father called his son up from the audience to share his belief in God and Mormonism. Despite hundreds of friends and neighbors looking at him expectantly, he remained seated and silent. He did not believe and he was not going to lie, even if it would save him from a terribly awkward and painful experience. I don’t care who you are, you’ve got to respect that kind of sacrifice.
 
3. Atheists are moral
Truly moral decisions are not the result of the memorization of codes and laws. True morals require a person to explore issues deeply, examine the difference between right and wrong, and make reasoned decisions about which paths to pursue. Without a belief in God or religion, most atheists I know have taken the responsibility to think through important issues and situations on their own. The end result is that most atheists are highly moral people. The danger with religion is when its laws and creeds are accepted prematurely or applied inappropriately.
Considering all that, I think atheists deserve some credit. They’re logical, moral and they stand up for what they believe in. Now if we could just get christian people to do the same.
 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. Love never fails. I Corinthians 13:4-9.
 
Give me today a new burden for my atheist friends. Help me to honor God and love Him with all my heart so my atheist friends will see Christ through me. Open my eyes so that I may see people who need me and open my heart so that I may be tender toward their needs.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! It is easy and desirable to show Christian love to an atheist. What you say is true. The enemy deceives within our own ranks. Keep loving the unbeliever and pray for discernment to know the deceived. The Unbeliever comes straightforward where the deceived believer is a danger and preys on the weak.

    God bless you always!

    In Christ's love,

    Rick
    @emanatingjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with most of what you said, Emma dear. There are exceptions to everything and every type of person, but agreed that conversations can be so much more straightforward if both people are mature enough to discuss differing opinions without argument, regardless of shared beliefs.

    Side note: I find few people, be they atheistic, agnostic, religious, etc, who understand the difference between communication and argumentation when it comes to discussing matters of faith. I have a couple of friends who don't share my faith, but who understand communication. We have GREAT talks and my own faith and ability to articulate it grows in the process. It expands both of our abilities to critically weigh what we profess to believe, and what we really do believe, in new and different ways.

    I'd question the morality portion. In a universe governed by random chance and natural selection, morality is a set of societal norms that vacillate depending on what people group you're talking about... so I personally probably wouldn't consider them more 'moral', since by definition, morality as we understand it in a Creator-centric universe, has it's root in a perfect, holy, omniscient God. But honestly... many so-called Christians seem to live lives not far removed from people agnostic towards religion, that both sides are pretty compatible in that respect, sadly.

    I love your blog! Keep writing, it makes a difference. All to the glory of Jesus, my beautiful friend!

    ~P

    ReplyDelete